Header Photo

Header Photo

Monday 9 May 2016

The Sun Sets On A Maestro


I read some sad news on the Internet today. One of my musical heroes has just died.

But I bet there won't be the publicity that David Bowie and Prince received when they passed on; even though this particular musician is just as important with his compositions and influence on electronic music.

I don't know how many people have heard of the Japanese synth player Isao Tomita, and his reworking of various classical pieces of music? I don't think he is as famous as Vangelis and Jean Michel Jarre are, although he certainly should be.

I first came across him in the late 1970s, when one of my brothers put the Snowflakes Are Dancing album on the turntable. I've always liked synth music, but Tomita's renditions of the tunes were something else. Easily recognisable, but with a space tinge to them. He amusingly called his many synths, his Plasma Orchestra.

Although you may not know his name, you would undoubtedly have come across his music in films and TV programmes. The most well known would be Carl Sagan's Cosmos from the 1980s.

There was a great sunset tonight. Something no doubt Tomita would have enjoyed seeing and may have given him inspiration for another piece of music.

I have many of his albums, but they aren't that easy to come by. So I thought I would share a piece of his music, to demonstrate how great he was, sat among all his Moogs etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for visiting and leaving a message. They are always welcome. Please mention my blog to all your friends and family and do pop by again very soon, as you will be made most welcome.
Best wishes from Gailsman and Nottingham Daily Photo.